25 Aug Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
I’m not a vegetarian, but I am still not a huge fan of ground meat. So I prefer to make a meatless Chili.
I use a lot of canned beans in this chili. Make sure you are selecting the “No Salt Added” cans.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 box vegetable stock (I usually substitute for beef stock to get a meatier flavour)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kelp seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large can red kidney beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can chickpeas or white kidney beans
- 1 can refried beans (pinto beans)
- tomato paste
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, stir and let it cook on low for a few hours.
- Before eating, use a potato masher to mix and mash for a few minutes. Mashing some of the beans helps to thicken up the chili.
- Do a quick taste test and see if you want to add more spice (chili powder or cayenne pepper)