19 Mar Carrot Cake Breakfast Bars
I am always on the lookout for easy and healthy breakfast options. It can sometimes be difficult to find a breakfast that can be eaten on the run that isn’t packed full of sugar. The typical granola bar usually has about the same amount of sugar as a chocolate bar…no thanks. Not first thing in the morning at least!
These breakfast bars are the perfect solution. They can easily be tossed into a Tupperware if you’re in a rush to get out the door. Also, they taste like carrot cake, so that’s a win in my book!
2 ¼ Cup Oats
1 cup Brown Rice Flour
½ Cup ground flax seed
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup apple sauce
1 tbsp vanilla extract
¼ cup butter, melted
1 cup grated carrot
1 apple, finely chopped (leave the skin on)
Optional: 1/3 cup raisins or 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
**If you add the raisins or walnuts, increase the apple sauce to 1 cup from ¾ cups. You will need the extra moisture to mix in the extra ingredients
- Mix Oats, Flour, ground flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, egg, apple sauce, melted butter, and vanilla extract
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until mixed
- Add the grated carrots and chopped apples and stir until combined
- Line an 8×8 inch cake pan with parchment paper, add batter and press into place
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes
- Let cool, then remove from pan by lifting the parchment paper.
- Cut into 16 squares.
These will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. I suggest freezing some for later.